Customize assignments and collect data automatically!
Assignments are an effective way to measure student understanding and growth. Each teacher has their own way of assessing. Thanks to our new Assignment Builder, creating custom assignments is easier than ever at QuaverMusic.com.
The assignment creation process connects the world of Resource Manager and Teacher Administration. Resource Manager is where content is created and organized. Teacher Administration is where content is distributed to student accounts. Let’s start in Resource Manager to create the assignment!
How to create assignments:
Assignment creation happens in the Folder system on the right-hand side of your screen. To begin, create a folder where your assignment will live. With no folder selected, click MENU, NEW FOLDER, and give it a title.
- The easiest way to begin customizing is starting with a previously created lesson. Simply drag the lesson over and drop it into the folder you created. Click the grey arrow next to the folder to open it and view the lesson below.
- With that lesson selected either right click or click menu to select CREATE ASSIGNMENT FROM.
- Give your assignment a name and click OK. A new item will be added to the folder. Notice it has a different icon than the lesson–a teal A for Assignment.
- Double click to open the Assignment. You will notice that it looks like our lesson, but has a purple header. From this view you can delete, reorder, and even add anything you like!
- When you’re ready to check it out, select LAUNCH at the top of the Assignment and it will open in a new window. This is what your students will see when they launch this assignment from their accounts.
- Students can see INSTRUCTIONS in the bottom left corner of the screen where your lessons have NOTES. You can adjust the instructions by selecting the slide back in Resource Manager and clicking EDIT.
When you create an assignment in Resource Manager, you’re really creating an Assignment Template. When you go to distribute these screens to your students, you’ll use this Template and adjust the details around it–like when it’s due and which students should receive it. This means you can reuse the content in this Assignment Template as many times as you like!
How to distribute assignments:
When you’re ready to assign your assignment, navigate to your Teacher Administration tools located on the Teacher Dashboard. Select the ASSIGNMENT icon in the top row. You’ll notice that it’s divided into two sections. On the left you’ll see the Assignment Templates available to you. On the right, you will see a running list of the Assignments you’ve already given.
- Once you’re in the Assignments section, check the Class Selector box in the middle of the navigation bar to make sure the class you want to assign the assignment to is selected.
- You’ll find the assignment you just created under the CUSTOM tab. The QUAVER tab next to it includes the assignment templates that the Quaver team created for you.
- Select the assignment you want to distribute and click the green GIVE ASSIGNMENT button at the bottom of the list.
- Here on the Assignment Details window is where you take the assignment template, add dates and instructions for the students, and deliver it to their accounts. You can also select to “Show Assignment in GradeBook only” or “Reveal Graded Answers to Students.” If you choose GradeBook only, then the assignment won’t be sent to students and will appear in your GradeBook for your eyes only.
Below the assignment contents, you’ll see a few options for grading. If you’d like to use a rubric template to evaluate this assignment, click the SELECT RUBRIC space, choose a rubric, or create a new one (more on this in a future blog). You also have the option to Adjust the Grading Scale on this page.
5. Once your Assignment details are complete, click SAVE. You will now see that the assignment appears in the Class Assignments Given section.
You can change the details of the assignment at any time, but not the content. Remember the content of the assignment comes directly from the template. You can adjust this in Resource Manager before assigning. The assignment will automatically show up on the Assign Date when students log in. They can access the assignment by clicking ASSIGNMENTS from their Student Dashboard.
Don’t forget that HELP is here when you need it! Click the VIDEO TRAINING to get learn more about creating and distributing assignments.